There is nothing like sharing a picnic with loved ones on a beautiful summer day, especially for those of us lucky enough to live in Napa Valley California! Even you if you don’t live in California’s blissful wine country, a perfect picnic can take place any time, anywhere if you follow these simple tips:
1. Keep it light and simple. Think finger foods that are tasty and easy to transport.
2. It’s always better to prepare just a few things and do them well.
3. Don’t pack anything sweet and sticky. Avoid food items such as ice cream, puddings, fruity drinks, etc unless you want to attract insects.
4. Pack everything in lightweight, resealable containers.
5. Keep everything cold. Use ice packs, or fill a couple of resealable bags with ice cubes. One of our favorite tips is to freeze small bottles of water and juice ahead of time so they will keep food cool and you can enjoy a cold drink when you reach your picnic spot!
6. Avoid foods that can spoil in warm sun. Anything with mayonnaise based dressings, eggs and dairy (though certain cheeses will work well) can spoil easily. Recipes like the ones below would be easier to keep at a safe temperature picnic:
Peperoncini Potato Salad
Baja Fruit Salad
New! Mexican Marinated Salad
Black Bean & Roasted Red Pepper Salsa
Cheese Stuffed Fried Green Olives
Spinach and Feta Olive Turnovers
7. Don’t forget any essentials! Follow this checklist to make sure you’ve got everything you need for your outing.
☐ Casual and easy food and snacks: Sandwiches, Crudités, Chips, Fruit Salad, Cheese, Smoked Meat, Crackers, light side dishes and salads
☐ Plenty of drinks: Water Bottles, Juice Boxes, Wine or Beer (if allowed)
☐ Inexpensive cups and plates from your favorite discount store
☐ Resealable/Ziploc bags filled with ice cubes
☐ Place mats or table cover
☐ Blanket large enough to accommodate your food and company
☐ Towels to clean up spills or messes (Cloth or Paper)
☐ Trash Bag(s)
☐ Cutting Board
☐ Serrated Knife (wrap the blade in a kitchen towel)
☐ Condiments: Packets of ketchup or mustard or mini jars
☐ Salt and pepper
☐ Plenty of water (again)
☐ Tongs and/or serving spoons
☐ Corkscrew or bottle opener
☐ Moist towelettes
☐ Bug Spray
Toss in some jars of Jeff’s Naturals products to add a little gourmet flair to your outing!