Prep Time: 10 min | Total Time: 40 min | Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion, small diced
- 1 stalk celery, small diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and small diced
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 c. green lentils, rinsed well
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 sweet potato or yam, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 c. chopped kale, remove stems prior to chopping
- ½ c. Jeff’s Garden Roasted Bell Pepper Strips, drained and rough chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large stock pot, on medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, celery and carrot. Cook about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender and onions are translucent. Add the garam masala and stir for about 1 minute. Add the lentils and stock, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
Cover the top of the stock pot with the lid slightly off. Cook the lentils halfway, about 10 minutes, and add the sweet potato, kale and roasted peppers. Cook another 5-7 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.