There is nothing like the distinctive flavor of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers to liven up your favorite Mediterranean dishes.
Capers, a favorite among foodies, are naturally low in carbs, contain no fat and are versatile enough to go with just about any dish whether it’s fish or poultry, appetizers, main courses, and more! Their distinctive salty, slightly briny flavor makes them a staple for Mediterranean dishes like authentic scaloppini and picatta recipes.
So what are these mysterious tiny nuggets of goodness? Capers are the unripened flower buds of a perennial bush native to the Mediterranean. We source our capers from Turkey where wild caper bushes can be spotted growing wild in rocky crags and on coastal cliffs. Capers are picked by hand as soon as they reach the desired size, then dried in the hot Mediterranean sun before they are pickled in a brine of vinegar.
People commonly ask us, what does “Non-Pareil” mean? Great question! “Non-Pareil”, pronounced [non-puh-rel], is indicative of the size of a caper- usually about the size of a peppercorn. The word is translated from French and means “having no equal; peerless”. It means, they are unsurpassed, the most desired- the best! So, now you know!
Here are 11 ways to enjoy them:
1. In a food processor, mix Jeff’s Naturals Sun-ripened Dried Tomatoes with pitted Kalamata Olives, Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers, garlic, anchovy filets, lemon juice and olive oil for a terrific tapenade. Spread it on fish or chicken before baking or serve it as a spread with crackers or crusty bread.
2. Combine Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers in a hot pan with butter, lemon juice, and white wine for a classic Chicken Picatta.
3. Use Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers as a flavorful garnish for bagels with lox and cream cheese.
4. Mix Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers into mayonnaise along with lemon juice and chopped chives for a sophisticated twist on a classic tartar sauce.
5. Add Artichoke Hearts to a simple piccata sauce of butter, lemon juice, Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers, and white wine and serve over pan-seared chicken or fish.
6. Roughly chop Organic Kalamata Olives and toss with Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers and olive oil. Spoon mixture over a block goat cheese and serve with pita chips.
7. Add Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers to sautéed onions and garlic. Dice tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and anchovy filets. Mix together with basil and crushed red pepper flakes for an alluring Puttanesca pasta sauce.
8. Dress up your favorite pasta or potato salad recipe with a few spoonfuls of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers.
9. Top a pizza with thinly sliced fresh tomatoes, minced garlic, fresh oregano and a sprinkling of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers.
10. Add a couple spoonfuls of Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers to a Salade Niçoise with seared tuna, anchovies, hard-boiled egg, sliced potatoes, green beans, and olives in a Dijon vinaigrette.
11. For a tangy vegetarian version of a classic Caesar salad, use Jeff’s Naturals Imported Non-Pareil Capers in place of the traditional anchovies.
photo credit: feministjulie via photopin cc